Sunday, August 2, 2015

Nan Khatai

I love Nan Khatai.. It has been my favourite cookie since childhood.  I used to have it in old Delhi.  If I am in Old Delhi the first thing I would do is looking for these cookies.  The heavenly aroma of these cookies can make your day and the melt-in-mouth texture oh my is simply divine.  I can have lots of these cookies in one go :D




After leaving India, like so many other things, I miss my Nan Khatais too :(  I tried to make them at home twice with different measurements but didn't get the desired results.  Though the taste was good.
Last week I tried one more time and finally nailed it.. yes yes yes I nailed it :)  Just seeing the final product, I started jumping with joy as they were so perfect.  I got those beautiful cracks on top too.  I took the first bite and it just melted in my mouth.  mmmmm.. The whole batch finished up in no time.  My toddler loved them too as they were so soft.  Needless to say my nan khatais were super duper yummilicious :)



While making the dough I used only 6 and a half tablespoons of Ghee / clarified butter as my dough got the desired texture with that even I had to add one more tablespoon flour.  As nan khatai is famous (infamous) for its ghee content, I was not so sure about the texture with so little ghee but it came out delicious just like the market ones.  Finally my efforts paid off.  Its my NO-FAIL recipe that I am proud of :)
I was so full of confidence that on the same day I tried another cookies with orange flavour.. that too came out well.  (will post the recipe soon).
I was dying to share this recipe here.  So don your aprons and start making Nan Khatai.  Simply follow the recipe (read the notes before making) and enjoy a mouthful of heaven. Happy Cooking :)

For more cookies recipes:
Vanilla Horlicks Cookies
Bakery Style Cake Rusk
Eggless Whole Wheat Cumin Walnut Cookies
Eggless Whole Wheat Peanut Butter Cookies 
Eggless Whole Wheat Oats and Ragi Cookies


Makes- 13 cookies
Baking time -  20-22 minutes
Temperature -  170 degree

My 1 cup measure 250 ml

Ingredients:

All purpose flour/Maida    -    1 cup + 1 tbsp
Ghee/Clarified butter         -    6 and a half tbsp
Castor Sugar                      -    1/2 cup
Baking soda                       -    1/4+1/8 tsp
Baking powder                  -    1 big pinch
Green Cardamom              -    3 (crushed)

Method:

  • Mix together all purpose flour, baking soda and baking powder.  Set aside.
  • Take castor sugar in a mixing bowl.  Melt ghee and add to castor sugar.  Mix together till it becomes a smooth paste.  Add crushed cardamom and mix again. Add in all purpose flour little by little and make a soft dough.  Chill in the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, preheat oven at 170 degree.  Lightly grease a baking tray.  Set aside.
  • Remove the dough from the refrigerator and pinch out a small portion and roll it to a lemon size ball.  Likewise make balls with the remaining dough and arrange them in the greased baking tray.  Press the balls a little on the top.
  • Bake in the preheated oven for 20-22 minutes or till the bottom gets a little brown,  You will get beautiful cracks on top.  
  • Remove and let them cool for 2 minutes in the tray.  Carefully shift to a wire rack and let them completely cool down.
  • Enjoy and store the remaining cookies in an airtight container.



Notes:
  1. In place of Castor Sugar you can use powdered white sugar also.
  2. The consistency of dough should not be too loose or too firm.  You should be able to roll the soft balls without any cracks.
  3. If your dough doesn't come out together you can add 1/2 tbsp more ghee.  Do not add milk or water to make the dough.
  4. Do not let the top get the browning while baking.  Check the bottom after 18 minutes, if it gets brown your cookies are ready, if not bake for another 3-4 minutes.
  5. As oven settings varies, keep an eye on the cookies after 15 minutes.

18 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I tried your recipe today.. And loved the nan khatais.. The only problem was that the khatais were not exactly melt in the mouth types.. The outer layer was soft but the centre was crunchy which is unlike the authentic nan khatais.. Non the less I would again try the recipe and maybe tweak it a bit till i get the desired texture..
    Thanks for the recipe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jas B. Thanks for trying my recipe. There could be one reason for your nan khatais' not so soft center. May be the quality of your flour is a bit different from mine so next time you can try with one more tbsp ghee or less 1 tbsp flour. Do not bake for more than the given time. I am sure you will get the desired texture. And don't forget to share the results here with me. Happy Baking :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Jas,
      A combo of Besan and the flour called for in the recipe gives a nice touch.
      I have tried whole wheat flour n beasan. Ragi flour + Whole wheat flour combo etc. Have fun. But No need to Knead is the mantra

      Delete
  2. Halo manju,
    I tried your recipe.it was awesome..eventhough i have the same feeling as Jas B on the consistency of the Nankattais ...i thoroughly enjoyed it. just one query - do we have to knead the dough for sometime( like chapathi/naan) or just knead it to the consistency of a pastry dough?does that make a difference?
    kindly revert,
    thanks in advance

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Asha for your feedback and trying my recipe. You can also do what I have suggested to Jas B.
    No need of kneading the dough for long.
    Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had these cookies before, but they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks annie. U must try these ones. I bet you would be addicted to them.

      Delete
  5. I have never tried making these at home. Will bookmark this. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear. Try once and you would make them again n again :)

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful cookie! I love that they're the perfect bite!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay, I love cookies! These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marisa. Even I love cookies alot. These are my favourite ones :)

      Delete
  8. Congratz to getting them just right! Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to make a dish perfectly. Interesting how food can be such a craft! Love the recipe :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Howie for your appreciation. It means a lot. I love ur blog. Its a vegetarians heaven :)

      Delete

Hi friends, thanks a lot for stopping by. Your valuable comments and suggestions are always welcome. Please do not use harsh words it hurts a lot. I am sorry but such comments will be deleted.
Thanks again

Featured Post

Pineapple Laddoo