Thursday, October 1, 2015

Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake

Today's recipe is my favourite one.  Its a basic sponge cake that tastes so amazing that you would not miss any kind of icing with this (unless you are making it for a party).  Its so soft, spongy and delicious that it would just melt in your mouth. 
This is a Nita Mehta recipe which I found in her Cakes and Chocolates cookbook.  I just love the simplicity of her recipes.  The ingredients are easily available and method is so quick and easy that baking just becomes a breeze.  I had tried to modify this recipe a few times but didn't get any better taste than the original one.  
Now this is the recipe that I always end up making whenever I want a sponge cake base.  Its so perfect that now I do not even think of trying any sponge cake recipe on my own.  Its a fail-proof recipe so just don your aprons and start making it.  Happy Cooking:)


Makes - one 8" cake
Cooking time - 45 minutes
Temperature - 300 F / 150 degree
Recipe source- Cakes & Chocolates by Nita Mehta

Ingredients:

All purpose flour/maida
1 cup
Corn flour
¼ cup
Condensed milk
Half tin (I used half of a 379 ml tin)
Milk
½ cup
Butter / oil
½ cup
Powdered sugar
4 tbsp
Baking soda
½ tsp
Baking powder
1 tsp
Vanilla essence
1 ½ tsp

My 1 cup measures 250 ml


Method:
  • Sieve together all purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder and baking soda.  Set aside.
  • Grease an 8” baking tin with butter or oil and dust with flour.  Set aside.
  • Preheat the oven at 150 degree.
  • In a big bowl, take condensed milk and sugar and beat well till fluffy.  Add oil and vanilla essence.  Beat again.
  • Gradually add flour mix to the wet mixture and beat.  Add half milk and beat again.  Finally add the remaining flour and beat.  Add remaining milk and beat again. 
  • Pour the prepared batter into the greased tin and bake for 45 minutes.
  • Check if the cake done by inserting a clean knife into its center.  If the knife comes out clean the cake is done.  If it doesn’t then bake for another 5-10 minutes.
  • Once done, remove from the oven and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes.
  • Remove from the tin and transfer to a wire rack.
  • Serve warm or cold.

Notes:
  1. If you like, you can add your choice of nuts and dried fruits to the batter.  Before adding to the batter, coat them with some flour to avoid their sinking at the bottom of the cake.
  2. If you find that your cake is getting darker from the top but undone from inside, cover the tin with aluminium foil and bake till the given time.  I always use this trick and it works very well.

29 comments:

  1. The cake looks amazing... need to try this out for sure... but is there some way to make do without the condensed milk. ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry dear condensed milk is unavoidable for this recipe. However I have one more recipe for a vanilla sponge cake with curd. I will try to post it asap. Thanks for your nice comments :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I tried ur cake today and definitely it's a no fail recipe thank u so much for it. But one query I did not get the yellow colour as shown in the picture can I know y? But I love this recipe and will try it again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for trying this recipe Roopa. I am glad. As far as the hue concerned, it can be different due to oven settings or the baking pan u used. But color doesnt matter I think. Its the divine taste this cake gives you :)

      Delete
  4. Oh my!!! I am sooooo trying this!!! Amazing !!! We do have a problem with eggs here in Jordan as they tend to be eggy...no matter how much vanilla you add...this is great..thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manals . Even I dont like to add eggs in my bakes. You will find that almost all my bakes are eggless and I find the texture so fluffy and soft. Do try my other bakes too. Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Delish, light and airy goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can u tell me which cornflour to use? White or yellow?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great recipe to have in your collection - There are so many variations of desserts that can use this. Will definitely bookmark - thank you so much for sharing. Feel free to join in with #Bakeoftheweek x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for ur sweet words Helen :) Wt is Bake of the week?? Plz explain.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for ur sweet words Helen :) Wt is Bake of the week?? Plz explain.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love sponge cakes! I have an unhealthy obsession with sweetened condensed milk, so I know I would be especially in love with this cake. I'll bet it's amazing served warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marissa, if that is the case then m sure you gonna love this cake as it has a rich flavour of condensed milk.. :)

      Delete
  10. Hi I am about tobake this cake, can you please tell me the quantity of condense milk in cups?

    ReplyDelete
  11. It came out really well.. Glad u shared such gud recipe... evry1 luvd it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are cornflour and cornstarch the same?can I use cornstarch instead of cornflour?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are cornflour and cornstarch the same?can I use cornstarch instead of cornflour?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake recipe, really enjoyed the taste its really very nice. I recommend it for everyone to try once its a very amazing.

    Aavin Ghee Online

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. cultured ghee vs ghee

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! singapore snowskin mooncake

    ReplyDelete
  17. When do you add the butter?

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends, thanks a lot for stopping by. Your valuable comments and suggestions are always welcome. Please do not use harsh words it hurts a lot. I am sorry but such comments will be deleted.
Thanks again

Featured Post

Pineapple Laddoo