Saturday, April 25, 2015

Sweet Potato Gulab Jamun

My favourite sweet, after Besan Laddoo, is Gulab Jamun.  They are simply out of the world.  Melt in mouth texture and super soft.  I love them so much.  I often make them with readymade gulab jamun mix or with milk powder.  They are just yum in any way.  I have also made them with bread, bread crust and even with sweet potatoes.   Loved these variations too. 
Today I am going to share my Sweet Potato Gulab Jamun recipe with all of you.  Making these jamuns is very easy.  And you know what once you will take it in your mouth, I can bet you won't be able to stop yourselves to take another one.  These Jamuns are that delicious. The natural sweetness of sweet potato makes them more yummy.  
By the way, I do not like sweet potato but these jamuns are my favourite ones.  I can have them any time :)  I specially buy sweet potatoes to make them.  So I think nothing more left for me to tell you for making you go and try these jamuns :)
Before making, just read the notes at the end of this post and you would never go wrong.  
A nice dessert for your family and friends.  Do try. Happy Cooking :)  



Ingredients:

Sweet potato
2 medium size
All purpose flour /  Maida
1 tbsp
Milk powder
½ tbsp
Baking soda
 1 big pinch
Sugar
1 ½ tbsp
Desiccated coconut
1 ½ tbsp
Oil
For frying


For sugar syrup:

Sugar
1 cup + 4 tbsp
Water
½ cup
Green cardamom
2 (crushed)




Method:
  • Take sugar and desiccated coconut in a bowl and mix well.  Set aside.
  • Wash sweet potatoes very well and put them in a pressure cooker.  Add 2 cup water and cook for 2 whistle.  Remove from the flame and let the pressure go.  Shift the boiled sweet potatoes in a strainer and let them dry for 10-15 minutes.  
  • After drying, peel and mash / grate them and shift to a mixing bowl. (I got 1 cup mashed sweet potato). Add in baking soda, milk powder and maida.  Mix well and knead to a soft dough.  
  • Take a little potato dough and make small lemon size ball. Push it between your palms to flatten a bit.  Take some sugar coconut mix and put it in the center of the flatten ball.  Roll it again to a smooth ball.  Repeat the same with remaining dough.  Set aside.
  • Put a pan on the flame, add sugar and water in it.  Let it boil till a little thick consistency.  Add in crushed cardamom and cook for a minute.  Remove from heat and set aside.
  • Heat oil and deep fry the jamuns on medium flame.  Keep stirring to get the even color.  Fry till golden brown.  Remove on a paper napkin.
  • Drop the fried jamuns in the sugar syrup and leave for 10-15 minutes or till they soak the syrup perfectly.
  • Shift to the serving bowl.
  • Serve hot or cold and enjoy.



Notes:
  1. Grating the boiled sweet potato would give a lump free dough.  If mashing, make sure no lumps would remain.
  2. If you find that there is not enough moisture in the dough to roll the smooth balls, you can add 1 tbsp milk.
  3. If you find the dough a bit wet, add a little more maida.  (Adding more maida than required would make the jamuns hard so be careful while adding).
  4. Adding desiccate coconut is optional instead of that you can add finely chopped dried fruits too.
  5. While making balls, make sure they are smooth with no cracks else they would break in the oil while frying.
  6. While frying, add the jamuns in the pan one by one and do not stir immediately.  Leave for 3-4 seconds and then move the balls.
  7. These sweet potato balls are a bit delicate so do not stir vigorously in the beginning. 
  8. Make a bit thick sugar syrup to get the best taste.
  9. If making thin syrup, do not leave the jamuns in it for long else they would become soggy.
  10. Instead of cardamom, you can use saffron strands or rose water.

10 comments:

  1. Yummy...I love how healthy these are by adding the sweet potato... I tried to make this dish once and loved it...I wanted to ask you how is the texture supposed to be like ; soft or crunchy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manal :) The texture will be so soft n melt in mouth. Try it once m sure u vl love this version too :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Manal :) The texture will be so soft n melt in mouth. Try it once m sure u vl love this version too :)

      Delete
  2. Love Gulab Jamun. Needed to come by to see how it is made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peter :) I am glad u like gulab jamuns. They r really irresistible :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manju, I actually don't know what they taste like, but this syrupy, sweet and fried pastry makes me think they are absolutely delicious. I have never used sweet potato in sweets, I guess it is time to try ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dalia do try n u vl make them so often I am sure. These are much more healthier than the original gulab jamuns as the latter carries a lot of calories :)
      wenever u try let me know ur experience :)

      Delete
    2. Dalia do try n u vl make them so often I am sure. These are much more healthier than the original gulab jamuns as the latter carries a lot of calories :)
      wenever u try let me know ur experience :)

      Delete
  5. Woah, I'm glad that I came around to your blog!! It makes me realize how much different food is out there in the world. Never heard of Jamun, but those look amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends, thanks a lot for stopping by. Your valuable comments and suggestions are always welcome. Please do not use harsh words it hurts a lot. I am sorry but such comments will be deleted.
Thanks again

Featured Post

Pineapple Laddoo