Thursday, March 26, 2015

Fruity Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemony Hung Curd Icing

My toddler is getting fussy day by day.  One day she likes homemade food and the other day just junk food.  I try to combine different things to make something healthy that could also make her taste buds happy.  These cupcakes are the result of my one more experiment for my little one.
She likes fruit flavoured muffins and corn puffs of a local brand here.  I must say her choice is excellent :) I too relish her favourite junk foods.  Those muffins and corn puffs are really delicious.  In the muffins, vanilla and fruit flavours comes out very nicely and I love it.  
Last week, before throwing the empty packet of muffin, I read the ingredients on the pack and decided to make it at home.  I had no idea how the fruit flavours came in the muffins as no essence or fruits were there in the ingredient used.  So I added orange, pineapple and vanilla essence.  I didn't add any fresh fruit.  
I was very apprehensive about the results as I had no measurements and moreover I was using some additional ingredients too.  But finally, when I tasted them, I was on cloud nine :D  They came out so well.  The sweetness, the flavour and the texture was just perfect.  I loved them and so did my baby.  
After having few cupcakes, I thought to have them with some icing.  Instead of cream, I decided to make the icing with the thick hung curd.  It was a healthy option too.  One lemon was also sitting in my fridge so I used up that too and made a lemony icing.  The final result was yummy, creamy, lemony curd icing that took my cupcakes to another level.  The combination of both (cupcakes and icing) was just mind blowing.  Now there is a guilt free icing that we can relish anytime..  isn't it awesome.?  
So my dear readers, here is the recipe of my yummy cupcakes and delicious icing.  Do try and see your kids jumping with joy... Don't forget to read the notes first.  Happy Cooking :)






Ingredients
(Makes 6 medium and 6 small size cupcakes)


All purpose flour/Maida
1 cup
Cornflour
1 tbsp
Milk powder
2 tbsp
Egg
1
Baking powder
½ tsp
Baking soda
2 big pinch
Castor sugar/powdered sugar
½ cup
Oil
¼ cup
Mixed fruit juice
1/8 cup
Soda water
1/8 cup +1 tbsp
Orange essence
1/8 tsp
Pineapple essence
¼ tsp
Vanilla essence
1/8 tsp

Lemony curd icing
Ingredients:
(For icing 4 cupcakes)


Thick hung curd**
½ cup
Lemon zest
½ tsp
Fresh lemon juice
½ tsp
Vanilla essence
1/8 tsp
Icing sugar
5 tsp


Decoration:
(For 4 cupcakes)

Thinly sliced lemon peel
8 strings
Glazed cherry
1
Colored sprinkles
1 tbsp

Method:

  • In a bowl, take all purpose flour, corn flour, milk powder, baking powder and baking soda.  Mix well with a spatula.  Set aside.
  • Preheat oven at 180 degree.  Line a muffin tray with paper cupcake liners.
  • In a mixing bowl, take sugar and egg.  Whisk well till fluffy. Add in oil and whisk again.  Add vanilla essence, pineapple essence and orange essence and mix well.  
  • In a cup, take soda water and fruit juice and give a stir.  Pour a little of it in egg sugar batter, mix it and add a little flour mix.  Mix well to avoid formation of lumps.  Add some more soda fruit juice mix and little more flour.  Mix well again.  Finally, add remaining soda juice mix and remaining flour and mix again.  The batter should be smooth and not too thick.  If you find that the batter is a bit thick add 1 tbsp milk
  • Fill the moulds/paper cupcake liners with the prepared batter till half and bake for 20 minutes or till the cupcakes gets golden brown on the top.
  • Remove from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.














Icing 
  • Take the hung curd in a mixing bowl, add in icing sugar and whisk well.  Add in vanilla essence, lemon juice and lemon zest and whisk again.  Don't over mix.
  • Icing ready.

Icing the cupcakes:
  • Take one cupcake and put 2 tbsp icing on the top of it.  Spread the icing all over it with the help of a small spoon.
  • Decorate with lemon peel strands and sprinkles.  Top it up with glazed cherry.







Notes:
  1. Any dried fruits or fruit mix can be added to the cupcake batter.
  2. You can use your choice of fruit essence in the cupcake batter.
  3. Do not leave the cake batter for long.  Bake it as soon as you make it.
  4. Let the cupcakes cool down completely before icing them.
  5. The curd should be very thick.  Hang it overnight to get the required thickness.
  6. You can adjust the level of sugar in the icing.
  7. Icing can be made of any flavour of your choice. 
  8. You can decorate the cupcakes with your choice of stuff.
  9. Baking time varies from oven to oven so keep checking the cupcakes after 15 minutes. If you find them getting over brown, remove from the oven.  If you find that even after 20 minutes the cupcakes are white on the top, bake them for another 5 to 10 minutes or till they get the desired browning.

** To make hung curd you can use a simple method. Take a big tea strainer and arrange it over a deep bowl.  Pour the curd in the strainer and put it (with the bowl under it) in the fridge for overnight.  Next day you would get the thick curd.


3 comments:

  1. I really like the hung curd icing idea :) Lovely recipe!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the healthier approach with these cupcakes; I've never had an icing like that before. They also look fun and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so pretty, and sound delicious! What a lovely treat for kids of any age. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi friends, thanks a lot for stopping by. Your valuable comments and suggestions are always welcome. Please do not use harsh words it hurts a lot. I am sorry but such comments will be deleted.
Thanks again

Featured Post

Pineapple Laddoo